Tuesday, February 10, 2009

ALL POETS ARE THIEVES!!!

Odd correspondences abound in my district of the world, a parcel of a precinct of New Jersey's middle reaches. On my way to school this morning to lecture about W.G. Sebald's hauntingly magnificent novel Austerlitz, I noticed that two other PATH train passengers were reading the same book! And last night, while traveling on the same train but in the opposite direction, two individuals on the Newark Penn Station about ten feet from each other and about fifty feet from me were reading the book of Seamus Heaney interviews I mentioned in my last post. Is this a correspondence or a coincidence, convergence or a new federal government surveillance program for which agents mimic their quarry? Am I being watched or stuck in a literary xerox universe? I might have to start publicly perusing more obscure tomes... J/C