Tuesday, April 14, 2009

ALL POETS ARE THIEVES!!!

Yesterday marked the (birth) day of two eminent Irish writers. Samuel Beckett was born on April 13th in 1906. Cambridge University Press just published his selected letters, 1929-1940. If I had the money, I would buy the book as Sam's gift to me. Alas, at $50 retail (and $31.50 on Amazon) it's still a bit dear for this tattered scribe.

Poet Seamus Heaney turned seventy on the 13th. Happy birthday, Seamus! A Dublin correspondent reports that a gala event in his fair city for Heaney went off like roman candles last night, with all stalwart bards and heads-of-state in attendance. Not only a terrific poet but a warm and generous person, he exemplifies the best qualities of an artist. Many years ago he did me a fond, fine favor.

So happy birthday, Sam and Seamus: I raise a glass and pen in your names! J/C